verb (used with object)
- to give or allocate; allot:
to assign rooms at a hotel.
- to give out or announce as a task:
to assign homework.
- to appoint, as to a post or duty:
to assign one to guard duty.
- to designate; name; specify:
to assign a day for a meeting.
- to ascribe; attribute; bring forward:
to assign a cause.
- Law. to transfer:
to assign a contract.
- Military. to place permanently on duty with a unit or under a commander.
verb (used without object)
- Law. to transfer property, especially in trust or for the benefit of creditors.
- Usually, assigns. Law. a person to whom the property or interest of another is or may be transferred; assignee :
my heirs and assigns.